Sunday, March 20, 2016

March 10th and 11th

Thursday and Friday of the fifth week were simple. There only two things that I can be doing at any moment- lab work or sitting at my desk doing other work on my computer.

On Thursday March 10th, in the cell culture room we passed the PC3 cells into a new flasks (same as trypsinizing, froze and passed the 22Rv1 cells, and changed the medium in the DU145.

Just a quick tangent- Since I have been learning these procedures and protocols through hands on practice and direct presentation I do not know the proper names for all the procedures. Not to say that all the names I have stated are incorrect, at least 95 % are accurate, but there a few protocols that may not have a proper name. Basically, please bear with me as I continue to learn.

Back to the 10th. I have not mentioned this before because this project does not pertain to my senior research project, but I am also working on. Dr. Lacombe is working on creating a cartridge that can lyse a sample of cells and analyze the proteins. Currently, Dr. Lacombe is working out the portion of the cartridge that lyses the cells. For this project we conducted a micro-BCA protein assay.

On the 11th, we conducted a electrophoresis for the proteins form the micro-BCA protein assay. This was also for the cartridge. We also went to the cell culture room. There we changed the medium in flasks and passed cells.

1 comment:

  1. Hi, Nandini! For the lay person, can you explain what it means to lyse a sample of cells and analyze the proteins? I am really impressed with all the hands-on lab work and data analysis you are conducting!

    ReplyDelete