Wednesday, March 16, 2016

February 29th

Unfortunately I have run out of swimming and water metaphors, but I have plenty of interesting things to write about my internship. Monday February 29th was the beginning of my fourth week. In the cell culture room, we changed the medium in the 22Rv1 cell line clonogenic assay and trypsinized the DU145 cell line flasks. I also learned a new procedure- how to freeze cells.  By freeze I do not mean place them in the freezer of a refrigerator (though we do do that at one point in the protocol) I mean place them in liquid nitrogen. Freezing cells is an extremely delicate process and requires you to work quickly, so for the first time I watched Dr. Lacombe complete the procedure.

Once we were done in the cell culture room, we washed the cell plates of the DU145 clonogenic assay. This involves dying the cells so you can count the colonies. Once the cells have been dyed and the plates have been washed, they must be left to dry for two days.

1 comment:

  1. I must admit that I enjoyed the metaphors! In observing Dr. Lacombe, what did you learn about the process of freezing the cells?

    ReplyDelete